Re: [Asrg] The combination of legislation and technology (was: Articl e - New anti-spam proposal in the House of Representative)

2003-05-25 21:03:25
On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 19:15 US/Eastern, Troy Rollo wrote:
Did any of them have a real "anti-spam" law"? There's only one state that has a true (opt-in) anti-spam law. CAUCE has been saying for years that opt-out ant anti-forgery laws won't have any spam-reduction impact, so pointing at such laws and saying "laws don't work" seems to lack foundation.

Furthermore, did any of them make any serious attempt at *enforcing* the law?

If we see a few spammers lose their homes, and a few more are sent to jail, and the spam *still* continues with no reduction in volume, *then* I'll be prepared to accept it as evidence that legal solutions won't stop spam.

mathew