Re: [Asrg] This mail list has been hacked

2003-05-26 17:15:43
From: Terri Oda <terri(_at_)zone12(_dot_)com>

All hail the mystical mighty hacker who knows how to visit a web page.
It was most likely leaked, not hacked

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/
msg04960.html

Might I suggest an upgrade of the list software to Mailman  2.1, if only for
the better archive-munging?

I oppose that motion on the grounds that anyone who cannot arrange
sufficient filtering on any address exposed though mechanisms such as
through the archives of this list is not qualified to contribute to
this mailing list.

I've been using vjs(_at_)rhyolite(_dot_)com for more than 10 years, and
currently
receive about half a dozen spam/week.  My mailbox has been filled with
far more certified clue-free noise about spam from the main IETF today
than I've received spam all month.

Besides, experiments reported in NANAE have demonstrated that spammers
have code that is smart enough to "de-munge" any systemic "munging"
that users are able to figure out.  It's not as if any rocket science
is required to write a Perl, awk, or other regular expression.