RE: [Asrg] C/R Interworking Framework

2003-05-27 19:29:03
At 10:16 AM 5/27/2003 -0400, Eric Dean wrote:

>  >This document identifies MIME experimental content-type values for
> allowing automated C/R system interworking.
>  >[..]
>
> Aren't we using headers?

Headers seems to be an ambiguous term to me..maybe it's much clearer to
others.  I am not proposing the modification of SMTP to introduce new
headers.  The use of experimental MIME content values is just fine and
ensures comptibility with non-CRI systems as the are simply ignored..or
removed in some cases.

I meant mail headers as defined in RFCs 822 and 2822. A MIME header I believe can be used anywhere inside the message body in any part of the message if the message if multi-formed. RFC 822 headers are only used on the entire message body.

> Is there room in the specifications for the following:

There's room for anything that makes sense..and I like the term
specification better than proposed standard or draft since we are a research
group.

> 1. Tag or certification systems which will send their seal or certificate
> as a response.

So..if there is a third party CA...then we could validate the server.  Then
there are more headers introduced here..and it sounds as if you are moving
towards authenticated mail servers.  Not a bad idea..but don't believe it
has a place within CRI.  That's not to say that they couldn't be compatible
or run as ships in the night as an overlay security model..but don't think
they have a home in something as limited as CRI. I would recommend that you
write up your own thoughts on such a model using certificates.

Perhaps we should leave enough room or provide some form of an extension mechanism where in implementations can provide their own ways for validating the responses while leaving the basic CRI protocol intact. This would allow all C/R systems to interoperate and leave room for people to piggy-back various systems on top of the basic CRI protocol.