RE: [Asrg] C/R Interworking Framework

2003-05-28 12:08:42
At 09:48 AM 5/28/2003 -0400, Eric Dean wrote:

> I meant mail headers as defined in RFCs 822 and 2822. A MIME header I
> believe can be used anywhere inside the message body in any part of the
> message if the message if multi-formed. RFC 822 headers are only used on
> the entire message body.

Hmm..yes, that would seem more appropriate.

> Perhaps we should leave enough room or provide some form of an extension
> mechanism where in implementations can provide their own ways for
> validating the responses while leaving the basic CRI protocol
> intact. This
> would allow all C/R systems to interoperate and leave room for people to
> piggy-back various systems on top of the basic CRI protocol.

That's an excellent way to put it.  Whatever we do, we should not be in
conflict with other methods.

Also, I think we mentioned the possibility of doing C/R on the SMTP server level but dropped it. We might want to consider it again in conjunction with the CRI proposal. Perhaps we should specify an SMTP extension that can do C/R over SMTP. This would save time in some instances (see RFC 1869 for ESTMP). This way people would have a choice of doing C/R either over email or over SMTP.

Yakov