Re: [Asrg] Another criteria for "what is spam"...

2003-06-10 23:00:56
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:04:02PM -1000, Peter Kay wrote

I tried to word that paragraph carefully but probably stumbled. Either
that or you missed the "and". What I'm saying in that last paragraph is
that if I've sent you email before AND I've not explicitly asked not to
receive email from you anymore, THEN I'm implicitly approving receiving
email from you.

  This reminds me of articles on some of the direct-marketing sites...
The first couple of paragraphs define confirmed opt-in, which everybody
agrees with.  The remaining 95% of the article tap-dances to a
pre-determined conclusion that if you click your heels and dance around
a faerie ring widdershins, then you can send advertising to people who
didn't ask for it, and it's *NOT* "really" spam.  This attitude on the
part of corporations that holds back e-commerce.  People are afraid of
ending up on lists each time they buy something online, so they don't
buy online.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;