Re: [Asrg] Reverse DNS

2003-06-19 11:21:28
At 12:56 PM 6/18/2003 -0500, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

> We are presently
requiring reverse DNS for IP addresses of MTA's which connect to our MX
(with exceptions, which are dwindling).  This has nothing to do with the
MAIL FROM domain, it simply means that if you connect to us, your IP address
must have a name, and that name must map back to your IP address.  What you
suggest above is exactly the sort of next step we're looking for; namely,
a DNS RR which tells the world that a particular host name has been designated
as an MTA (outgoing at least).

There are a number of us advanced/small users with home offices who presently
run our own outgoing SMTP mail server, behind a router using NAT.  Not all
(valid, legitimate!) outgoing SMTP servers have fixed/permanent IP addresses.

Likewise, since I have a "residential" type high speed connection, I have *very*
limited abilities (and that only because of my own domain names, but I don't
have my own Net-accessible DNS server in any case) to manipulate the DNS records
associated with those domains.

I suspect that a fair number of other consultant-type users are in a similar
boat to myself on points like this.  It's the needs of some of us
'advanced/small' users which the spf folks seem willing to totally ignore.

I have my own SMTP server as well since my ISP does not provide one. HOWEVER, all IP addresses assigned by my ISP have reverse DNS records. I believe this is not a problem AS LONG AS ISPs will provide those problems.

RMX/SPF and similar systems on the other hand will cause a problem. Someone earlier suggested that free DNS systems such as dyndns.org would provide RMX functionality for such cases.

Yakov