Re: [Asrg] Reverse DNS

2003-06-19 14:45:30
There are a number of us advanced/small users with home offices who presently
run our own outgoing SMTP mail server, behind a router using NAT.  Not all
(valid, legitimate!) outgoing SMTP servers have fixed/permanent IP addresses.

Likewise, since I have a "residential" type high speed connection, I have
*very*
limited abilities (and that only because of my own domain names, but I don't
have my own Net-accessible DNS server in any case) to manipulate the DNS
records
associated with those domains.

I suspect that a fair number of other consultant-type users are in a similar
boat to myself on points like this.  It's the needs of some of us
'advanced/small' users which the spf folks seem willing to totally ignore.

I have my own SMTP server as well since my ISP does not provide one.
HOWEVER, all IP addresses assigned by my ISP have reverse DNS records. I
believe this is not a problem AS LONG AS ISPs will provide those problems.

The problem is that most large end-user-type ISPs really don't want the support
hassles of supporting user DNS issues (which is part of why they price those
services SO much higher).

RMX/SPF and similar systems on the other hand will cause a problem.

Indeed.

Someone earlier suggested that free DNS systems such as dyndns.org would
provide RMX functionality for such cases.

Yes, but as I understand it they won't do much if anything for those of us who
are still behind NAT and router, since domain names mapping to a nonroutable
192.168.n.n address seem pretty pointless... am I wrong?  :-)

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.