Re: [Asrg] Re: Viruses

2003-06-24 12:08:36
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:46:26PM -0500, wayne wrote:
In <200306241826(_dot_)h5OIQPOs027704(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> writes:

From: gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com

Any computer on which software can be installed could theoretically have
BAD
software installed.

What major operating systems are configured by default to install
software from distant servers unknown to a computer system's owners?

Debian Linux does.  Oh, wait, you said "major OSes".  Nevermind!

Apparently ASUS Display Drivers for Windows XP!  I traced an FTP session
from my computer to Taiwan at the precise time I was installing those drivers.
(This was a freshly-installed Windows XP behind both a hardware and software
firewall, in case you think the system was compromised.)