RE: [Asrg] Viruses

2003-06-25 16:08:48

On June 25, 2003 at 15:11 vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com (Vernon
Schryver) wrote:
What does any of this have to do with spam in general or the ASRG?

That's the right question because I think we've now lost the point of
my bringing it up in the first place.

I maintain that the primary problem with spam right now is caused by
the hijacking of systems (demonstrably) by the hundreds (probably much
more) to spew spam.

I further maintain that without these hijacked systems spammers would
be ineffective, a relatively minor nuisance.

There are good, structural reasons why this is the case:

a) Spamming does not provide the sort of margin needed to purchase and
maintain the equipment they seem to rely on. Therefore, they must
steal it.

b) Even if they could acquire such equipment, and concomitant
bandwidth, it would of necessity be located in a relatively static
location (e.g., ip addresses), and, so, relatively easy to just block.

Now, how these systems are hijacked is a subsequent topic.

And, what might be done about it is yet another subsequent topic.

But, this is a research group, and that is a result of my research.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*