[Asrg] Re: Viruses

2003-06-26 11:25:25
Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> writes:

[...]

I maintain that the primary problem with spam right now is caused by
the hijacking of systems (demonstrably) by the hundreds (probably much
more) to spew spam.

Is there evidence to support this?  (My apologies if it's already been
quoted.)

I further maintain that without these hijacked systems spammers would
be ineffective, a relatively minor nuisance.

There are good, structural reasons why this is the case:

a) Spamming does not provide the sort of margin needed to purchase and
maintain the equipment they seem to rely on. Therefore, they must
steal it.

b) Even if they could acquire such equipment, and concomitant
bandwidth, it would of necessity be located in a relatively static
location (e.g., ip addresses), and, so, relatively easy to just block.

I must admit, my gut feeling suggests that these two points ought to
be true.  And yet I suspect they aren't: I suspect spamming is cheap
enough, and that there's just enough demand, that some spammers can
indeed make a profit relatively legitimately.

[...]