RE: [Asrg] Viruses

2003-06-25 13:05:15

Plus or minus the odd serious bug or misconfiguration operating
systems such as unix, linux, VMS, MVS, TOPS-20 (going back
20+ years),
etc are more or less immune to such problems.

I guess you can claim that if you dismiss any vulnerability
as an "odd serious
bug".

The only O/S security feature I am aware of that is relevant in this
regard is the VMS fine grained privileges that allowed processes to
be created that did not have network access or did not have file
access.

There is a similar feature set in Windows NT but the applications
appear to be unaware of the reason it should be used.

I am unaware of any equivalent system in the UNIX world, chroot is
not equivalent. The .NET framework has reinstated the concept of fine
grained privs but it will take many years for them to be used by
applications.

Finger pointing is rarely a good guide to good security practice.
I remember the time when people doubted unix would get anywhere
because of its notorious security problems and weak security
architecture, it does not seem to have had the predicted effect.

                Phill