RE: [Asrg] Weird spam

2003-06-25 20:30:40
It is probably going to turn out to be an advance fee fraud.

Making out that you are derranged is a common trick amongst con artists.
Consider how likely it is that someone who gets caught in a scheme that is
as demented as this one is going to complain to the police or if they do
that they will be taken seriously.

There are other possible explanations.

                Phill

-----Original Message-----
From: Vernon Schryver [mailto:vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 10:45 PM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Weird spam

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

At 8:54 PM -0400 6/25/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
I received a very strange spam message, quoted below. Does anyone
know what these kind of messages accomplish?

Same as hoaxes and graffiti.  The knowledge of knowing that your
message is being seen by thousands of people.  That one's
been around
for a while.  ALong with the guy looking for a time machine
and a few
others.

Some commentators in NANAE claim that this guy is the same as the
time machine guy and that he's seriously distrubed.  See
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22unlimited+memory+backup%2
2+group%3A*.email

One more reason why the definition of "spam" should not include the
word "commercial".

Yes, but charity and political spam is more common and so better
examples outside the political and helping professions who, like
most people, insist "Spam is that which I don't do."