Re: [Asrg] Spammers looking for sites that don't bounce?

2003-06-26 14:25:35

I suppose anything that can be programmed is possible.

But one also has to be careful of that effect whose name I forget
where people see patterns in random noise.

As I've reported here before spammers often use over a hundred
hijacked computers nearly simultaneously spewing the same basic spam
(including variations, but I mean for the same "client", the same
basic come-on.)

So for example if they were streaming by on your screen you might
notice that when you raise you right hand, they switch to IP addresses
with at least one prime number in the quad, but when you raise your
left hand, they switch back to non-primes, etc.

It's a common effect and at least one to watch out for.

Also, anthropomorphizing the data, a similar effect, assigning intent
to what might be random behavior in the data.

Or maybe they're doing all this.

Or maybe he's being slammed by what appears to be spam from a clever
and malicious script-kiddie just trying to drive him bonkers because
he closed an account for non-payment or something.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*