Re: [Asrg] News Article - Microsoft and spam

2003-06-26 14:29:52
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I think that we have to be realistic about the cost/benefit issue here.

Yes it is possible for a spammer to hire people to sign up for these
schemes. However to do so requires capital which has an effect on the
starting out spam senders.

A spam sender that tries to do this in  bulk is going to start to hit limits
on the number of addresses a given IP address can sign up for at a time.

Multiply that by the at least 200,000 unsecured proxies in the wild.

It strikes me that it might be a good scheme to allow the spam senders to
register large numbers of domains but mark them as being suspect spamhaus
addresses. Then monitor the emails being sent out with spam filters and chop
the account.

Gets back to the issue of how you detect spam...