Re: [Asrg] In case anyone thought Barry was exaggerating

2003-06-26 14:27:34
At 05:22 PM 6/26/2003 -0400, Chris Lewis wrote:

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Well, this raises an interesting issue that I mentioned before - if a virus takes over someone's email client, lets say Outlook, and starts sending spam from that person's account which is legit, there isn't much we can do. Someone else suggested that imposing a rate limit and notifing the customer in case the limit is reached, would be a possible solution.

Ah, but the email _isn't_ legit. You're conflating "valid sender" with "non-spam".

Thanks for pointing this out - valid sender does not mean non-spam.

See the C&W Rep on the FTC Spam Panel on "The future of spam" session, where he talks about these things.

Very chilling.

And also very entertaining.  He's a great speaker.

I will take a look, would you have a link by any chance?

Yakov