Re: [Asrg] In case anyone thought Barry was exaggerating

2003-06-26 20:59:40
At 06:58 PM 6/26/2003 -0400, Chris Lewis wrote:

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

See the C&W Rep on the FTC Spam Panel on "The future of spam" session, where he talks about these things.

Very chilling.

And also very entertaining.  He's a great speaker.

I will take a look, would you have a link by any chance?

Everything appears to be online at http://bruce.pennypacker.org/ftc/, transcripts, audios and full video.

Here we go, it's Dr. Bill Hancock, Day 1, fourth session. Session title "Open Relays/Open Proxies/Formmail scripts".

That will be tape 4.

I'm on tape 5 & 6, with a cameo on 4 ;-)

I read over the transcripts, unfortunately my current bandwidth is way too small for the videos. Well, Dr. Hancock's stuff is definatly chilling, especially the parts about the new 802.16 wireless standard with over 30 mbps going in the radius of 30 miles. Just think of all zombies and open relays possible to be setup. A lot of the stuff he said seems to support Barry's arguments that viruses, zombies and infected computers are a major source of spam.

Yakov