RE: [Asrg] Consent Proposal

2003-06-26 21:05:36
From: "Peter Kay" <peter(_at_)titankey(_dot_)com>

A. there exists a plug-in infrastructure that can run on MUA or MTA
(ISP).

Things that MTAs and MUAs can do differ radically.

B. each plug-in provides for some type of policy definition, related to
the plugins purpose. This can range from filtering to CR to all the
other methods mentioned below.

"Plug-in" worries me.  At best it suggests an implementation mechanism
instead of a protocol notion.  At worst it suggests an intolerable
security nightmare as is standard in commodity desktop software.

C. each plug-in can be configured by a hierarchy. Starting w/ the ISP
(for instance), then perhaps a domain-level admin (for corporate
applications0 and then the end-user.  We can decide on varying levels of
defaults or override capability so that for example if an ISP whitelists
a source, the end-user may have the option to blacklist it.

That needs to be made concrete in terms of protocols and mechanisms
so that it can be discussed by a technical group.