Re: [Asrg] News Article - Microsoft and spam

2003-06-28 00:00:42
On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:20:02AM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote

Of the 34,740 spam in my 39 day rolling log that were not relay
probes, 15,025 or 43% had sender domains from among the 784 domains
listed in http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/freemail.html

  Do you have separate spam stats for where email claiming to be from
service X actually is from service X, versus email claiming to be from
service X actually is from service Y?  At the end of my blocklist rules
I have...

PIACCEPTTAIL aol.com
SIREJECTTAIL aol.com I only accept From: @aol.com addresses if the email
actually originates from a aol.com server.
PIACCEPTTAIL hotmail.com
SIREJECTTAIL hotmail.com I only accept From: @hotmail.com addresses if the
email actually originates from a hotmail.com server.
PIACCEPTTAIL msn.com
SIREJECTTAIL msn.com I only accept From: @msn.com addresses if the email
actually originates from a msn.com server.
PIACCEPTTAIL yahoo.com
SIREJECTTAIL yahoo.com I only accept From: @yahoo.com addresses if the email
actually originates from a yahoo.com server.

PIACCEPTTAIL => accept email if the tail end of the rDNS matches pattern
SIREJECTTAIL => reject email if the tail end of the sender envelope
                matches pattern

  This is less draconian than blindly rejecting based on envelope
sender.  It still catches spammers, but has a lot fewer false positives.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;