Re: [Asrg] Warning people of "intent to send" large quantities of email

2003-07-02 13:11:09
Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> writes:

[...]

2. If the purpose of spam is to sell something then the spammer or
their client has a business nexus within the country being spammed,
with a few exceptions (stock pumping or selling vacation homes in
the foreign country or whatever, hardly an objection tho.)

If only!  My isode.com address doesn't scream out my country of
residence, but I regularly receive spam to my .demon.co.uk home
address which is obviously not intended for people outside the US.
(Sometimes it even says that the "offer" doesn't apply outside the
US.)  Spammers really don't seem to discriminate that much according
to country.

And you omitted various electronic products, specifically porn web
sites for which spam isn't unusual.

[...]

4. Believe it or not other countries are capable of passing decent
laws, one has to have some faith that if someone leads others will
follow and pass their own anti-spam laws and enforce them in
response to complaints.

Few govts have any real interest in letting spammers roam free as
much as they may just be a little slow to act.

Very true.  If the US passes effective legislation, it's likely that
EU countries will pass similarly effective legislation, if not more
effective.

[...]