RE: RE: RE: [Asrg] 2. Problem Characterization - Defining spam within consent paradigm

2003-07-03 09:38:43
"What are you on" is not a useful question to post on this list.

I'll risk Paul's wrath and reply in the same unhelpful vein as you have
adopted:-

I guess if you don't understand that there is a very clear distinction
between wanting something and consenting to it we will all do better to
ignore anything you say about the consent model for spam/spam control/spam
elimination, because you are clearly on something that has reduced your
ability to distinguish basic semantic concepts to the point where you can't
usefully communicate.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Kyme [mailto:jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 03 July 2003 15:17
To: Tom Thomson
Cc: ASRG
Subject: Re: RE: RE: [Asrg] 2. Problem Characterization - Defining spam
within consent paradigm

One trouble here is that one moment you write "does not want" and at >
another > you write "does not consent to" just as if they meant the same
thing. > They > do not mean the same thing. >  > I consent to receiving
bills from the people who supply my electricty, > but I > don't want to
receive those bills - I'd much rather have the electricity > free.  I don't
think those bills are spam - in fact I believe that any > definition of spam
that includes those bills is just plain wrong. So spam  What are you on? Ar
you talking about your electricity or your electricity
bills?
 Of course you "want" (need or desire) your electricity bills, given that
your electricity *isn't* free. Otherwise the first thing you'd know is that
you get a court summons for non-payment. You "consent" (express a
willingness) to receive them when you sign up with your supplier, because
you need them.
 What you "want" is a dictionary.