RE: [Asrg] Nothing will stop spam???

2003-07-04 10:11:35
Kee Hinckley wrote:
it negates a lot of the current benefits of email.
(Immediacy.  The lack of a need for an introduction...)
        I agree that the current lack of a need for introductions has
distinct benefits and it will be a nuisance to lose it, however, I think
we need to recognize that the world is not what it once was. In the "old
days" you could assume that anyone who was able to send email was
probably someone worth corresponding with and you could assume that they
probably held respect for the network and valued the rules and customs
for its use. We can no longer make these assumptions. The world has
changed. Today, it is precisely this "benefit" of easy access that
provides the opening for spammers.
        There should be no question that moving to the kinds of systems
that are required to reduce spam will result in some loss of
opportunities for serendipity etc. However, this is a cost that we have
little choice but to accept. We should be thankful, I think, that we
were able to use the Internet in a "collegial" and "trusting" fashion
for as long as we did.

                bob wyman