Re: 6. Solutions - Longterm - Replacing SMTP (Re: [Asrg] Bogus reasoning)

2003-07-02 09:31:41
At 11:50 AM 7/2/2003 -0500, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

>>Personally, I don't think that *any* solution that to be effective requires
>>re-engineering the entire world's E-mail infrastructure is a practical
>>solution
>>today. There's just too much of it, in too many places, and with too little
>>onsite technical expertise in many of those places.

>However, should we be considering a solution that replaces the email
>infrastructure as a long term answer to spam?

While it might be interesting to blue-sky that, I don't think that discussing it as a serious solution to the spam problem is very sensible. We need something MUCH sooner than that, and I think the only practical way to achieve that is to
build it on top of the system we have today.  And THAT means it must be
incrementally deployable.
[..]

If we are forming a comprehensive plan for killing spam, then we should consider long term solutions as well. We can structure such plan to gradually move the Internet with short term, medium term and long term solutions, all leading to the long term solutions. I do not think any of the short or medium term proposals or approaches can kill spam entirely - even your approach will allow ASCII spam through. To completely kill all spam will require a long term solutions. However, we do not have to worry about a long term solutions right now, we can concentrate on the overall plan and specific short-medium term solutions.

[..]
I don't think that there is a single "silver bullet" (wooden stake?) that will instantly stop spam. What's more likely is that we eventually and progressively just put enough sand in their gears that the great majority of them simply give
up and decide to take up another career.
[..]

It is very well possible that all of the short and medium term solutions will "put enough sand in their wheels" to stop them. Nevertheless, long term solutions should remain within our ear shot, even if we do not spend as much time on them as on short term stuff.

Yakov