Re: [Asrg] Article from WinXPnews on SPAM...

2003-07-09 09:59:33

C. Wegrzyn writes:
The best filtering programs not only allow you to filter by keywords
(both in the subject line and the body of the message), but also allow
you to set both blacklists (addresses and/or domains that should always
be blocked) and whitelists (addresses and/or domains that should never
be blocked, even if the message content triggers other spam filters).
The latter is a big help in preventing messages from important people
from being "lost" due to the spam filters. Other options, such as a
choice to block all external graphics or block HTML email altogether,
are also handy.

Yeah, we (SpamAssassin) have been saying this for ages.   Unfortunately
I get several mails a day from end-users who have had SpamAssassin
installed by their ISP or web hosting company, with

  - filtering turned on for all accounts by default

  - no notification that it was installed

  - no configuration interface or way to perform white/blacklisting

  - only interface for users is via a call to tech support!

That results in pain for everyone involved -- except for the ISP,
I suppose.  A bad situation.    We strongly advise against this in
all our doco, but it still happens regularly... >:(

--j.