Re: [Asrg] 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Titan Key reduces spam attacks

2003-07-31 14:25:44
At 4:37 PM -0400 7/31/03, Alan DeKok wrote:
 > The trend is either up, flat, or down. According to the linear
 regression trendline, the trend is down. If there is a statistical
 > definition of "significant" then of course lets apply it. But if we're

It's been a long time since I took all my stats courses, but one thing I'm sure of. A sample size of one address out of several hundred million, with no control, is not significant.

Set up two addresses at the same domain. Advertise them with identical exposure on the same web pages and the same newsgroups, let the spam build up to a certain level, then start bouncing one and not the other. *Then* we might have some interesting statistics. Every year I bounce twice as many messages as the year before. Is that proof that bouncing doesn't work? Nope. I need to compare that number to addresses receiving similar amounts of similar spam that don't bounce.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.