Re: [Asrg] SMTP level unsubscribe

2003-08-07 17:25:05
At 10:17 AM -0700 8/7/03, Scott Nelson wrote:
I propose standardizing an SMTP level error code to mean "unsubscribe".
I chose "578 5.7.8 Unsubscribe" which would be returned immediately
after the RCPT command.  It could be thought of as a "that user
does not consent to any further email from you" but I prefer
the single word "unsubscribe".

Because it contains no token which proves that you actually received any of the messages you are unsubscribing from, it's susceptible to abuse (unsubscribing people against their will). Also I doubt that most commercial mailers would go for it because it has very limited granularity. You might fire off such a message in response to some mail from a idiot who bought a CD and unwittingly remove yourself from the lists of several of your favorite software vendors--because they all happened to use the same bulk mail provider.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.