RE: [Asrg] SMTP level unsubscribe

2003-08-14 07:32:28
----- Forwarded message from Danny Angus <danny(_at_)apache(_dot_)org> -----

Of course from the MTA administrator's point of view, they need to
protect their network from massive abuse. And of course it is the
right of the organisation to block whatever traffic it chooses from
its own network. Some people might be against the idea of additional
filtering over and above the personal consent policy of the
recipient, although I can understand why such filtering may be
necessary in practice.

In practice my @apache mail is filtered when it arrives at the apache
mailserver, and again when it makes the hop to my own server,
and again when it is downloaded by my client, my idea was that all this
filtering could be aggregated and sent up-stream so that it is imposed as
near to the source as I can push it.

Some might say that administrative filtering is more within the
scope of a BCP rather than a standard. I'm not sure either way.

Yeah, but a single well designed standard for expressing consent could be
used to describe both.

Then any sender will be able to impose the rules before transport, and
the recipient will be able to apply them after and still benefit from
any saving made by having some mail delivery never even attempted.

This is an interesting approach. It suggests the idea of two protocols
(or maybe one protocol used for two different purposes):

 - for sending personal consent policy to the ISP's MTA
 - for a sending MTA to query a remote MTA's policy details

The latter is likely to be the more controversial.

Yeah, but in practice it would still be within the control of the mail
admins exactly which rules are exposed and which are protected by silence.

I can see that there are arguments for both, and in fact I'm a big proponent
of configuring SMTP to not reveal information in error messages, so I'm not
totally wedded to the idea of querying unless the information is only
exchanged between trusted MTA's or is of non-contentious material.
After all the difference between sending a message and having it bounced,
and asking "will you accept x" and being told "no" is largely one of
bandwidth, and not a qualitative difference in the information gained by the
experience.

d.

----- End forwarded message -----