Re: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs

2003-08-14 07:31:31
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

Some DNSRBLs work on policy level - listing ISPs that support spammers, listing modem pools, etc. What do we do about them?

I don't see there's an issue with those w.r.t. the DNSBL BCP.

As Matt suggests, tho with a less emotionally loaded/simpler example: if your mission is to list DHCP dialup pools, and a particular IP really _is_ a DHCP dialup pool, there is no collateral damage or false positives by definition.

From the filter operator's perspective, if they use a dialup pool blacklist they're making a policy decision to block dialup pools, not necessarily spam per-se. As such the only FP is when the IP is erroneously listed as dialup.

Yes, blocking dialup pools is an effective anti-spam measure. But in order to operate without grey areas, the MTA operator (not the DNSBL operator) needs to couch it as a dialup block, not a spam block.

This is particularly important with our open relay/proxy blacklisting - our policy is simple: we don't accept email from systems that are open proxies or open relays, period. Prevents arguments like "but only 99% of the stuff coming from my IP is spam! Unblock me!".