Re: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs

2003-08-13 15:54:34
At 3:59 PM -0400 8/13/03, Chris Lewis wrote:

=head2 Truth in Advertising

The criteria for listing should be carefully described (on the blacklist's web site, see below). You should be honest and never enter a listing that doesn't meet the criteria.

In other words, be direct and honest as to what the listing criteria are, and never mix in other entries. No spite listings [Footnote 3].

I think this may need expansion to make it clear that accuracy is required, not precision. See CBL for an example of an accurate but not precise description of listing criteria.

=head1 Security fault blacklists special rules

Some blacklists list IP addresses that are insecure in various ways (e.g. open relays, open proxies). These are some recommendations for these systems:

=head2 No automated probes

The blacklist will not automatically probe for insecure systems. The reason for this is that there is little agreement in the community as to whether or not this should be allowed. So we err on the side of caution.

Listing should therefore be "spam in hand" from a spamtrap address, or "email in hand" based on either a non-automated test, or a test instigated by receiving an email from the tested IP address.

=head2 Reasonable re-scan periods

If the blacklist uses re-scans to determine whether the listing should timeout or not, the re-scan period should be reasonable. Scanning should occur no more often than once every 24 hours (this fits in with the L<expiry period|/Listings should be temporary> above L</Footnote1>).

I think there needs to be something to address the very real problem of destructive scanning. At various points in the past few years (notably with ORBZ and with the phase of the attack on a.r.s that used open Wingate proxies) the 'white hat' folks have been seen to use probes that take down targets. For SMTP relay testing this is a multifaceted problem because in some cases (i.e. some versions of Notes) it is only machines that do not relay which are crashed, and in many cases machines that accept a test message as a result of some relay test trick end up ricocheting the message internally until it lands in a double-bounce mailbox, and even today some of those are human-managed.

If there's going to be a de facto blessing of unauthorized security testing at all (I'm quite negative on that entire idea) it seems to me that it should at least define a clear and precise boundary on those tests. If it is a bad thing for a spammer to use an email address he does not own as SMTP sender, can it be justified by the claim that one is not spamming but testing (without permission) a machine that may well end up accepting the 'test' and then bouncing it to someone who is neither spamming nor operating a system that facilitates spamming?

I realize that a requirement to hold to a strict ethical standard in SMTP relay testing is a requirement to not try tricks that spammers could and even do use, so it means that a negative result is quite uncertain.
--
Bill Cole bill(_at_)scconsult(_dot_)com