Re: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs

2003-08-14 03:34:28
On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 00:59 Europe/London, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

=head2 Collateral damage should be a last resort

Extending a blocking to try and achieve action from the owning ISP should only be performed after contacting the owning ISP about the current block and requesting action, and waiting a reasonable delay for the ISP to fix the problem.

Any policy for collateral damage must be clearly documented on the L<< listing criteria|/There should be a web page that I<only> details the listing criteria >> page.

Some DNSRBLs work on policy level - listing ISPs that support spammers, listing modem pools, etc. What do we do about them?

I assume you mean SPEWS. It's a tricky question, because technically SPEWS listing ISPs supporting spammers isn't collateral damage to them - that's their entire raison d'étre and would be covered by "Truth in advertising". What the above section really applies to is lists like the SBL, who have an escalation policy to try and take action against particular spammers.

But maybe Chris has a different take on it.

Matt.