Re: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs

2003-08-14 07:21:30
Matt Sergeant wrote:
On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 00:59 Europe/London, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

Some DNSRBLs work on policy level - listing ISPs that support spammers, listing modem pools, etc. What do we do about them?

I assume you mean SPEWS. It's a tricky question, because technically SPEWS listing ISPs supporting spammers isn't collateral damage to them - that's their entire raison d'étre and would be covered by "Truth in advertising". What the above section really applies to is lists like the SBL, who have an escalation policy to try and take action against particular spammers.

But maybe Chris has a different take on it.

Matt, are you scribe now? ;-)

I have a more generic take on this. It wouldn't be far-fetched, for example, for a proxy DNSBL to escalate, say, the ridiculous levels of open proxy infestations in some of the Brazilian class B to blocks on the Brazilian ISP's mail servers, or, the _whole_ class B (SPEWS has done this a couple of times).

As such, "escalations" aren't necessarily coercive per-se, and in some cases (such as the Brazilian proxy problem), there is virtually no detectable collateral damage actually occuring.

Expanding on that bit:

1) Escalation policies should be described as part of the list criteria page.

2) In that description, the escalation policy should be identified as either a "collateral damage/coercive" or a "protective" measure (or both). A "collateral damage" escalation is where you deliberately target stuff that there's no reason to believe is a spam problem itself in order to force the owner to do something. A "protective measure" type escalation is where you're (for example) giving up on individually tracking thousands of open proxies within a class B, and just blocking the whole thing.

SBL escalations are almost always coercive. Most SPEWS escalations start out "protective", and then become coercive once they get bigger.

3) My take is that it's far more important/useful to pre-warn about coercive escalations (because that's the whole point after all) than protective ones.