RE: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs - Article

2003-08-11 19:13:48
At 04:32 PM 8/11/2003, Brad Knowles wrote:
At 3:14 PM -0400 2003/08/11, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

 This is something that should be reflected in the BCPs for mail
 administrators - investigate the blacklist before you use it.

Indeed, but we need better investigative tools. Tools that can give us a more authoritative view on whether or not a particular black list actually adheres to the rules they espouse, or if maybe they are revenge-based, or whatever. Tools that tell us if certain black lists import data wholesale from other sources, without checking that first.

I'm not proposing any solutions per se, but it would be nice if we could have some sort of a rating system that we could apply to various aspects of all black lists, and on which trusted members of the community could then vote.

Maybe an Advogato-like solution? Or perhaps one that is more broad-community based and less small-trusted-group based, such as the Amazon or imdb.com rating systems?

Any kind of auditing or control over the inner procedures of a black list would improve the situation. A rating system would not be sufficient since it has potential for abuse. We would need someone to audit the blacklists, something like the Truste seal program for privacy. Or perhaps just a reliable auditor like a major accounting or security company, maybe even ISO 9002 (although with Enron and Arthur Andersen story that might not be reliable enough).

All we need is that a third impartial party has examined the procedures of the blacklist. Unfortunatly that is not being done today.

Yakov