Re: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs - Article

2003-08-17 12:00:29
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 12:32:14AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote

      That assumes that everyone knows the full reputation of all black
lists.  This is not a valid assumption.  Even experienced e-mail
practitioners may not know the reputation of even just the majority
of the existing black lists.

 Do we really need an auditing organization to tell us that SPEWS
 has no contact information and lists more than just the spammer?
 Of course not. So what is the real goal of proposals for auditing
 organizations?

      To help the people find out the necessary information more
easily.  Hell, we were using SPEWS at ntp.org, until I found out that
they cast their net too wide.  But it took collateral damage for me
to find that out.

      I shouldn't have to suffer collateral damage or do excessive
amounts of investigation in order to determine the reputation of
major black lists.

  Have you ever heard of "RTFM" ?  Did anyone ever come to you whining
that they shouldn't have to suffer collateral damage to determine the
effects of "rm -r *" ?  Anyone who uses an unfamiliar tool without RTFM,
or at least asking about it on appropriate forums is asking for problems,
and should not expect any sympathy.  If you had read questions 5 and 6
at http://www.spews.org/faq.html (or even better, the entire FAQ) you
would've known what you were getting into.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;