Re: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs - Article

2003-08-18 14:36:12
On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 07:53:24PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote
At 2:58 PM -0400 2003/08/17, Walter Dnes wrote:

   Have you ever heard of "RTFM" ?

      What part of "I read the FM" don't you understand?  What part of
"I've been using them for years, and thought they were some of the
good guys" don't you understand?  What part of English don't you
understand?

  Quoting from your original message...

Hell, we were using SPEWS at ntp.org, until I found out that they
                                        *****************
cast their net too wide.  But it took collateral damage for me to
find that out.

  No two interpretations about it.  You used SPEWS and then found out
about its policies.  By "we" I assume you meant "corporate we".  You
also say "until I found out", which implies that you were able to turn
SPEWS on/off at your site.  It's right there in black and white at
http://www.spews.org/faq.html

Q5: Why are network addresses listed if no spam has originated from
them?

A5: They are listed because they have been set up by known spammers and
spam support operations, most with a demonstrable repeated history of
spamming or spamming services. They are also listed if they host
websites advertised in spam, as this too falls under spamming services -
these listings normally occur if the owners of that network address
range do not remove the offenders.

Q6: How did "I" get into SPEWS?!

A6: Normally it is not "you" who was listed but your ISP or host. They
may have been listed due to spam originating from their section of the
Internet or due to their hosting or providing services for known
spammers. The SPEWS bounce page covers this in more detail. Now if you
are a spammer, or spammer supporter, yourself, you were listed for that
reason.

A7: We want to list any identifiable network block that is owned or run
by the spammers or spammer supporters themselves. This way we can lessen
their effectiveness at spamming. Even if the spam doesn't come from
there, they may use it to host spamvertized sites or use their network
connection to harvest email addresses from Internet webpages.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;