[Asrg] 6. Email Path Verification

2003-09-08 10:10:00
Hi, I'm new to ASRG so feel free to point out any obvious flaws (or redundancy) in my post.

After reading an article on The Register, which quoted Dr. Solomon as suggesting that a "penny post" scheme would be the best anti-junk system around (but conceding that present takeup and attitudes to the idea were not encouraging), I got to thinking about schemes which might work.

Starting from the "penny post" principle, I figured out a high-level method of attaching a cryptographic signature to an e-mail, via a third-party "payment agent". The recipient would then have the option of checking the signature both against the e-mail and against the agent. The agent, moreover, could be looked up in a directory of agents, chosen by the recipient.

At this point, I realised that the agent not only need not actually charge for it's services, and also need not be attached to the sender's smarthost or ISP. This makes deployment and acceptance much easier in the early stages, certainly easier than IPv6. The agent does have to check whether a user is apparently trying to sign a large batch of mails, but this is not technically difficult.

The actual volume and pricing policy would be set by the agent, which would be under market pressure from both ends - allowing sufficient volume and low prices to please senders, while still keeping the quantity and quality of mail sent through it in line with recipients' (really the directory maintainers') expectations. I can suggest a number of models which might be considered by different agents.

At this point I started looking through the RFC and I-D databases to see what other people were doing in this line, and eventually came across the ASRG's work.

The end result of my idea's evolution (over several days) looks less like the SHRED system presented by AT&T Labs, and more like the last entry in the Email Path Verification paper. My system, however, adds an extra trust layer in the form of the agent directory, which would operate in a similar manner to the present RBLs, but generally as a whitelist rather than a blacklist.

The system operates entirely independently of the mail transport system. Signatures are added as headers in the RFC2822 scope, so they survive through SMTP, POP3, IMAP and all similar protocols with no modifications to existing MTAs. Signing and verification are both optional, and initiated by the MUA at the appropriate end.

I've also considered scalability problems introduced by large mailing lists, some problems associated with the limited resources on some e-mail clients, the usability and security problems introduced by storing cryptographic keys on inexperienced users' machines, and can suggest a solution to each of these. I believe the idea is implementable using existing infrastructure and technologies, with minimal impact on most users' experience of e-mail.

If you'd like me to go into more detail, please ask.