Re: [Asrg] 6. Email Path Verification

2003-09-12 17:12:35
*[1] - Mac IIcx, 16MHz 68030+68882, 5MB 120ns RAM, 40MB HD, 640x480,
monochrome.  I pulled one of these out of a skip last year, and after
drying it out I found that it still works. It has similar capabilities
to Macs I've heard of being distributed, free of charge, to
disadvantaged folks in the American desert.  So, if someone wants to
know exactly how long a given algorithm will take on that machine,
there's at least half a chance I'll run it and let them know.

a spammer is not going to be blasting spam from a IIcx is s/he?

The time it takes to generate the hash even on an old machine like a 68x00 series is not that much of an issue since you write mail and queue it. So
you have a delay of a minute before you can do dialup...

You missed my point entirely. If it takes a second on an Athlon (which we can assume the spammers will use a cluster of), it's going to take more like *hours* on a IIcx. Let me try and figure out roughly how much slower it actually is...

16MHz '030 -> 80MHz '040 is perhaps 10x (estimated by architecture and clock)
80MHz '040 -> 80MHz PPC601 is perhaps 5x (I actually measured this one)
80MHz 601 -> 400MHz G3 is perhaps 10x (also measured)
400MHz G3 -> ~2000MHz Athlon is perhaps 5-10x (estimated)

Let's say we pick a hashcash strength that takes about 1 second on a fast Athlon and 6 seconds on the G3. That can be considered acceptable from the point of view of the "average user" with a modern PC, and allows for some Moore's Law expansion in the spammers' capabilities over the next few years.

The same strength code will take 6*10*5*10 -> 50 *minutes* to produce on the old Mac. This is clearly unacceptable. Why should we require everyone to have a Pentium-II or a PowerMac (either of which are needed to bring the time down to 1 minute - any Pentium-Classic is slower than the PPC601) if they want to send e-mail to new people?