Re: [Asrg] 6. Email Path Verification (hashcash benchmarks)

2003-09-13 18:10:38
                          If anyone who knows about Solaris can tell
 me how to extract basic information about the machine (from an
 unprivileged account, natch), I'd be grateful.  I'd hazard a guess
 that it's a recent but low-end multiprocessor workstation.

A Solaris 9 box that I have access to provides the following information:

% /usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin/prtdiag -v

Ah, thanks.

% /usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin/prtdiag -v
System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Enterprise 450 (4 X UltraSPARC-II 480MHz)
System clock frequency: 96 MHz
Memory size: 4096 Megabytes

========================= CPUs =========================

                    Run   Ecache   CPU    CPU
Brd  CPU   Module   MHz     MB    Impl.   Mask
SYS     0     0      480     8.0   US-II    1.0
SYS     1     1      480     8.0   US-II    1.0
SYS     2     2      480     8.0   US-II    1.0
SYS     3     3      480     8.0   US-II    1.0

[snipped]

Looks like I was wrong about it being low-end. :-) This machine replaced a cluster of three four-way 100MHz boxes, which *were* repurposed workstations.

FWIW, it appears that the UltraSPARC II is slightly less efficient (by maybe 20%) per-clock than the G3, but that's not a bad deal overall - the G3 is known to be exceptionally good in that area.