Re: [Asrg] 6. Email Path Verification (hashcash benchmarks)

2003-09-14 05:07:39
At 6:27 AM +0100 2003/09/14, Jonathan Morton wrote:

 Actually, let's step back a bit.

        'k

 Suppose we implement a "postage required" callback to promote
 awareness in the early stages.  What happens when one of these
 callbacks hits a listserv that doesn't know about it?  AFAIK,
 most listservs will probably interpret it as a bounce, which
 is probably counterproductive.

Indeed. We need to be careful about the SMTP Response Codes that we issue on a hashcash-enabled MTA.

 Also, what's the best way to combine hashcash and authentication?

On a hashcash-enabled MTA, we accept a hashcash-stamped message on the first try and 4xx tempfail others? Maybe we also require a minimum waiting period before we accept a non hashcash-stamped message?

 Not forgetting, of course, that we still need to have lots of
 backwards compatibility that can (very gradually) be phased out.

        Indeed.

 It would be nice to be able to avoid hashcash for initial
 communications in certain situations, because that lets some of
 the low-end users off the hook, but that has to be watertight.

I think you could do this on a per-interface, or at least a per-source network basis -- your "local" clients don't need hashcash to get you to accept the message. Or maybe a client that successfully uses SMTPAUTH and/or TLSSMTP doesn't need hashcash?

 Finally, as an interim solution, can hashcash be effectively used
 as a filtering modifier?

        Probably.  Is hashcash hard to calculate and easy to verify?

                           Take SpamAssassin, for example, you
 could subtract a point from the spam score, for every bit of
 hashcash after the first N (say 16).  That'd be handy for people
 who keep getting caught by the filters for reasons beyond their
 control - it gives them a "get out of jail" card, cheap for
 low-volume mail, expensive for bulk.

That sounds like an interesting first-pass, yes. Of course, this would have to be integrated into the default version of SpamAssassin that everyone installs (and other filtering agents), in order for something like this to be of value. Otherwise, you're calculating this stuff and stamping your messages with it for nothing.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad(_dot_)knowles(_at_)skynet(_dot_)be>