Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - AMTP (rev 01)

2003-10-02 09:56:26
Bill Weinman wrote:
At 10:39 PM 10/1/2003, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Bill Weinman wrote:

It would be very useful to the group in general if we had an analysis of whether SMTP needs to be replaced in line with Dave's suggestion above.

With all due respect, I have my hands full already. I am not here to be "useful to the group". Please don't take it personally, but if I were to set that as a goal I would never get my work done.

This was not meant to you, rather to the group in general.

I brought the AMTP draft to ASRG to get feedback, and I am getting that and I appreciate it. Several changes are going into the next draft based on feedback from this group. I think that's an excellent outcome.

Excellent.

I am aware that the IAB and IETF have a predisposition opposed replacing SMTP, and frankly I think that's a smart position for them. On the other hand, I also think it's valuable for people like me should reach out and try something bold, as I am doing. The IETF cannot do that -- they have a large and diverse constituency. I don't have that constraint.

The bold steps must, by necessity, be taken by individual mavericks. Perhaps this one will work. Perhaps it won't. We will only find out if I pursue it.

Bill - I admire your persisetnce and willingness to stand up! Now, that we have cleared up that you are aware of the opposition, I will not bother you on this anymore. Please keep the ASRG updated on the AMTP protocol.

ALSO, if it is possible - please make it VERY clear in your draft that AMTP is meant to replace SMTP. When I read it, that was not clear to me.

Yakov