Re: 3. Requirements - Anonimity (was Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General)

2003-10-29 06:07:37
At 4:25 PM -0500 2003/10/27, Alan DeKok wrote:

   Do you have anything positive to offer?  The only thing I can
 determine from your posts is that you are opposed principle to any
 attempt to modify SMTP.

I am opposed to useless modifications that will serve no purpose in the long-run, and which will cause all e-mail users to give up essentially all liberties in the process.

        If you have actually useful proposals to make, I'm all ears.

   I think we can agree that you think SMTP was handed down from on
 high in the form of stone tablets, and that we're all going to h*ll
 for trying to change it.

You do an excellent job of intentionally mis-interpreting and mis-construing the views and words of others, and then casting them as the one true Satan against which everyone *MUST* obviously be opposed.

        You should get a job in the Bush administration.

   That being said, do you have *anything* positive to say, which will
 help address the spam problem, and not result in eternal damnation?

There is no "one true absolute solution", not with the methods and tools available to us today.

You can throw out the entire protocol and start over, with the attempt to create such an absolute solution, but that is not the purpose of this group.

 Is there ANY possibility that an anti-spam proposal will someday
 satisfy your standards?

Actually, some of the tools already available to us today do the best job that I think could be reasonably expected.

I think the real key is to lay out very clearly what kinds of things should not be done, what the consequences are if you do them anyway, and make recommendations as to how people can configure their software so as to take information from the broadest array of reasonable input sources and therefore make the most informed decision it could reasonably make.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad(_dot_)knowles(_at_)skynet(_dot_)be>