Re: 3. Requirements - Anonimity (was Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General)

2003-10-28 12:47:56
At 28/10/2003 15:52 Tuesday, David wrote:
Events such as 'Joe's laptop gets stolen' are likely to be quite rare.
As such, the risk of receiving spam due to this situation is so low that
it doesn't present much of an argument to convince me that I should
spend CPU resources doing content based filtering on every mail I
receive (if there are other options for eliminating some quantity of
spam).

May I direct you to http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/25715.html ??
Pay special attention to the small paragraph which reads:

"According to CCC's data, up to 60 per cent of laptop claims received are
for accidental damange. The rest are for theft. From this it extrapolates -
on the assumption that there are five million laptops in circulation in the
UK (a bit high, maybe?) that 100,000 are damaged and c.67,000 are stolen
every year. Most thefts apparently occur in offices and schools (12 per
cent each)."

I would not call approx. 67.000 stolen laptops by year only in the UK a
"quite rare" event.

67,000 / 5,000,000 = 1.34%   Also, as a percentage of email users as a
whole, it's even tinier.

You don't estimate how many of those laptops aren't immediately
formatted and resold. Sure, if identity theft was key to spammers
propagating spam, maybe more laptops would be stolen - that of course
completely ignores my comments about ISPs limiting the number of
messages sent to some order of magnitide within the normal behaviour of
a user.

I suppose 1.34% isn't 'quite rare' it's only 'pretty uncommon', hmm?

                                                        David