Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Inquiry about CallerID Verification

2003-11-30 13:18:27

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan DeKok" <aland(_at_)ox(_dot_)org>
To: <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Inquiry about CallerID Verification

Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> wrote:
Ok, I think we'll all be waiting for his document very eagerly.
Hopefully he can provide a status update and perhaps let us know if he
needs more help.

  More help would be appreciated.  I've got an outline, and a "todo"
list.  What would help is people willing to root through the details
of protocol X (RSS, HTTP, IRC, etc.), and describe how it differs from
SMTP (using the outline of SMTP's issues).  People willing to
contribute, please email me off-list.

Hmmmmmmmm,

I don't see why you would want to to confuse the issue with RSS, HTTP, IRC,
etc?

Look,   unless you are going to fund the development efforts for vendors to
change their software,  you are not going to define how they will REVAMP
their current systems.   Thats the bottom line.

The problem is the SMTP specification.   Don't confuse it with anything
else.  You need to highlight its problems,  and then make it technical
feasible for developers to create solutions in the spirit of Mr. Crocker
wishes.

Think Black Box Functional Engineering!   You don't need to be a programmer
to do this, it helps, but you do need to have experience as a system
engineer.

To drastically reduce the spammer problem,

A) Deal with access issues
B) Deal with technical comformity issues

thats it!!   "One small step for man,  one giant leap for mankind!"

Just imagine that you were writing a new "SMTP" protocol and you were going
to expose it specs to the world.   You have NO idea whats out there.  All
you can define the interface points in the specification.  That is all you
can do.

---
Hector Santos
WINSERVER "Wildcat! Interactive Net Server"
support: http://www.winserver.com
sales: http://www.santronics.com