Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Inquiry about CallerID Verification

2003-11-29 21:06:27
Hector Santos <winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com>:
You should concentrate your efforts on technical conformity of the specs.
No solution will solve the spammer problem 100% and you will be beating a
dead horse trying to look for one.  In my view, your only option is to make
conformity in the future SMTP functional specification a requirement with
server-implementation backward compatibility.  That has nothing to do with
DNS, Mail Filters, SPAM vs NO SPAM, BULK vs NON-BULK,  non-server vs server
based MTA clients, etc.

I think Hector has a point here.  Not that we should give up other approaches,
but that there are ways we can make life more difficult for spammers by
requiring strict technical conformity and failing closed rather than open.

This is is a viable approach because there are so many fewer semding servers
(concentrated at ISPs) than receiving servers.