Re: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals: LMTP proposals

2003-11-30 16:51:26
Alan, thanks for the updates.

On 11/28/2003 10:41 AM, Alan DeKok sent forth electrons to convey:

Matthew Elvey <matthew(_at_)elvey(_dot_)com> wrote:
Another suggestion for the Statement: it should go over WHY it does not examine or verify the body From: field - which, IIRC, a post to this list went over - there's a case or two where it's legitimate for it not to match, yes? -e.g. legitimate relaying and forwarding?
And I forgot - of course MAIL FROM: <> needs to be mentioned as a special case.

 Yes.  The document discusses forwarding.  It doesn't discuss
legitimate relaying.

 I find it interesting that in all of the discussions surrounding
RMX-style solutions, I don't recall anyone mentioning off-site MX
secondaries.  So far as the primary MX is concerned, they're
authorized relays.  But the secondary SHOULD also apply as much as
possible the same filtering schemes to the messages, otherwise
spammers can use it as an "open relay" to the primary.
At least one of the servers should; the primary could, as it should have access to the envelope and source IP too, right?

Something like this is needed:
"Email submitted to a secondary MX for relay to the primary MX MUST somehow have the LMAP policy of the domain it claims to be from queried and applied." . If only the secondary receiving the email will have enough information, then this could be said more simply.
Should this be added to one of the LMAP draft documents?

I just thought of another possible problem with LMAP. If a spammer using direct-to-MX spamware sends email to me, from me, (as I'd bet they regularly do) it may not be caught by LMAP. The system (fastmail.fm) for my domain's MX is the system I use to send mail too, so I need to put it on my LMAP record.
What are the remedies to this problem?  Some thoughts:
1)Have the systems be different. For my situation, that could work*; fastmail has lots of IPs, so incoming and outgoing can be different, and only the outgoing would be in my domain's LMAP record. For folks with one IP, it's a problem. Any ideas? 2)I authenticate and use SSL when I login to the SMTP server to send mail. (It requires that I authenticate, and if my password is going over the 'net, I require that it be encrypted.) Perhaps the LMAP part of the server could be made aware of this, and allow email where from=to only when there's authentication. 3)I could stop sending mail to myself, servers could require users not do this, and users could be taught that they can't do this. Requires end-user training. (Bad!)

*They are only sometimes different today - it's a mess: There is incoming and outgoing mail at 66.111.4.60=mail.messagingengine.com and 66.111.4.20=smtp.us.messagingengine.com; I think my outgoing mail comes from several IPs in 66.111.4.0/24, based on a lookup at senderbase.