Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - Subject labeling - FTC response

2003-12-01 18:52:22
Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>:

Perhaps the two drafts should be merged together?

I'm open to this possibility.  Actually the only considerations were
technical I'd do it in a heartbeat -- I have no ego investment in
being the only name at the top.  But the relevant question is actually
political -- and no, I don't mean IETF politics :-).

My draft is designed for a particular, narrow purpose -- to be the IETF's response to the request for IETF input on the labeling standard contemplated
in CAN-SPAM section 11.2.

It seems to us that there is no further research possible within the scope of ASRG for this draft, considering its narrow focus. As it stands now, the proper forum for this discussion would probably be the IETF.

Therefore, what we would suggest, is to submit the draft to the IETF as a independent submission and then shift the discussion there. The proper forum for this discussion would either be the main IETF mailing list (as a starting point), or the ietf-822 mailing list (http://www.imc.org/ietf-822/index.html). If the IETF sends it back to us, then we can continue discussing it here.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"And this too shall come to pass"
-------