Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - rDNS and DNS considerations

2003-12-02 17:57:24
On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:31:44PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Following on on the rDNS track I did some investigation on the rDNS and DNS
side. The following issues were raised off list:

Thanks. This is great stuff.

One comment, though:
      To get a DNS resource record assigned we have to have an (IETF)
standard. It is possible that the DNSEXT working group could act quickly,
this seems to mean order of 18 months to be realistic. That is not going to
be acceptable. It is not like we get a record type assignment and then get
to work with it.

Due to the threat caused by spam it might happen that the DNSEXT working
group could speed up things. However this would IMHO require that the
proposal is a stable and practicable solution with a high probability of
success. QTYPE is two octets and I don't think DNS will take large
damage if it turns out that one TYPE has been "misassigned" ;-)

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299