Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - rDNS and DNS considerations

2003-12-02 18:07:29
Markus Stumpf wrote:
On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:31:44PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
One comment, though:

        To get a DNS resource record assigned we have to have an (IETF)
standard. It is possible that the DNSEXT working group could act quickly,
this seems to mean order of 18 months to be realistic. That is not going to
be acceptable. It is not like we get a record type assignment and then get
to work with it.

Due to the threat caused by spam it might happen that the DNSEXT working
group could speed up things. However this would IMHO require that the
proposal is a stable and practicable solution with a high probability of
success. QTYPE is two octets and I don't think DNS will take large
damage if it turns out that one TYPE has been "misassigned" ;-)

I would like to make a suggestion related to this proposal. There are two separate issues involved here: one has to do with the idea itself, and another with the implementation. In order to be able to gauge the issue itself better before getting into the nitty-gritty of the implementation details, a discussion of the idea would be useful, either as a separate document, or as part of the main document. This should follow the checklist in the end of (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-02.txt).

If you can do that, that would help us analyze and look at different issues better.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"I ate your Web page. / Forgive me. It was juicy / And tart on my tongue." (MIT's 404 Message)
-------