RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - rDNS and DNS considerations

2003-12-03 07:58:40

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Following on on the rDNS track I did some investigation on
the rDNS and DNS
side. The following issues were raised off list:

1) Is rDNS stable enough to depend on?
    Maybe. The quality of the data registered for North America and
European zones is 'reasonable'. It is not great but not
ridiculous. The
quality of the data in the Asian zones is not at all good.

    One issue to consider is that some of the NICs have
been proposing
to kill rDNS since "nobody uses it and it is no damn use".

Are you refering to the regional registries (RIPE, APNIC, etc.)?

Yes, but I can't be more specific.

The feeling I got was that we are in a use it or loose it situation. IF we
define a compelling use of the reverse DNS to help control spam and that
becomes a killer application then the reverse DNS probably stays intact.

I made another call today and got some additional info on rDNS. There is
absolutely no problem putting TXT records in there.

                Phill