Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNS + PKI - Yahoo's "Domain Keys"

2003-12-09 13:37:24
Alan DeKok wrote:
"Jon Kyme" <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> wrote:

It smells of magical belief to me. Just sprinkle on some public key fairy
dust and the problem just shrivels up. Ho hum. I can't really see what such
a scheme would offer which something like SPF/LMAP wouldn't.

  Slightly lower administrative costs, perhaps.  Possibly better
ability to transit mailing lists.

Another difference here is that LMAP addresses MAIL FROM forgery in the SMTP transaction, while DK addresses forgery in the mail headers and email message itself.

  The drawback is you can't delegate authority like you can in LMAP.

What about if you use subkeys?

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" (Lord Acton)
-------