Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals: MTA MARK vs port 25 filtering?

2003-12-16 12:23:31
At 10:41 AM 12/16/2003, Alan DeKok wrote:
Philip Miller <millenix(_at_)zemos(_dot_)net> wrote:
> Well, here's one more. I'm not sure what to do about the organization, and I
> don't know how or where we would address the relevance of SMTP AUTH.

  I don't think SMTP AUTH is relevant.  It's intended to be user
authentication, not MTA authentication.

  We could extend SMTP AUTH to do MTA authentication, but it would
then end up looking like LMAP.

I believe SMTP TLS is intended for MTA authentication.

Mark

> I don't think we should have 2 complete sections dedicated to
> addressing, point by point, the specific requirements dreamt up by this
> group.

  They're not.  They addressing two documents.  When/if the documents
get merged, the sections in the LMAP discussion paper can get merged.

> End-user authentication definitely has some bearing on the workings of
> LMAP. If some major mail-originating domain implemented LMAP, but made
> no provision to prevent transmission of spam or forged messages through the
> authorized servers, what good has it done? Worst case, you could have
> LMAP-listed open relays.

  Nothing can ever prevent the abuse of valid user accounts, or of
invalid MTA configurations.

> We should definitely at least recommend the use of SMTP AUTH within domains
> in tandem with LMAP.

  That's my opinion, too.

  I don't understand why it's considered reasonable to have every MTA
on the planet authenticate everyone else's users.  Systems which have
such requirements in their design are fundamentally flawed.

  Alan DeKok.