Re: [Asrg] 1. Inventory of Problems - SMTP

2003-12-20 20:55:48

Yakov,

>> 3. The sender can request that the message be forwarded to (almost)

>> anyone else.

>> SMTP isn't a "user to user" protocol. It's a "submitter to MTA"

>> protocol. In the case of open proxies, the MTA may be abused to

>> re-send the mail to anyone on the net.

YS> Isn't SMTP an MTA-to-MTA protocol, with SUBMIT being the "submitter to

YS> MTA" protocol?

yes, although that is recent, and most poster-to-MTA interactions do

use SMTP. However access control is now typical, so the problem of

open relaying is solved technically. Whether the solution is used is

not a problem with SMTP.

>> 6. no negative feedback

>> TCP has congestion control. ICMP "port unreachable", etc.

>> When SMTP messages are thrown away, they're often done so by the end

>> user. The recipient MTA usually doesn't know, and the originating MTA

>> doesn't know. So in the absence of negative feedback, spammers

>> increase their sending rates, in the hope that some messages will get

>> through.

YS> This also has to do with the fact that the body of the message and the

YS> SMTP transaction are separate from each other.

Huh?

1. SMTP is equivalent to a link-level, point-to-point protocol. As

such, it has plenty of negative feedback and congestion control. The

larger mail service is a classic datagram model, like UDP. And, no,

it has no congestion control. However as one contemplates this

problem, keep in mind the challenge of doing meaningful end-to-end

congestion control in the face of multi-day latencies.

2. I think folks are trying to make the underlying transport service

be responsible for higher-level, user-to-user problems. Remember that

spam is a social problem, not a technical one. So, worry about the

end-to-end object/envelope, rather than the hop-by-hop transfer

protocool.

>> e.g. Messages from unknown senders should be treated with great

>> suspicion. Any and all available information should be used to

>> determine how to process the message.

YS> A good example would be giving a higher value to unknown senders in

YS> SpamAssasin.

How is this different from whitelisting?

How is it affected by spoofing?

d/

--

  Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>

  Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>

  Sunnyvale, CA USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>